Who says delicious cake can’t come in a jar? In fact, cake in a mason jar is a delightful invention that has taken the dessert world by storm! Picture this: moist layers of fluffy cake, topped with swirls of frosting all packed into a cute and convenient jar. Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet treat at home or need a portable dessert idea for a picnic or a catering event, cake in a jar is the perfect solution. With so many flavor combinations and decorating options, the possibilities are endless. So grab a spoon, dig in, and enjoy the irresistible charm of cake desserts in mason jar!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for a Cake in a Mason Jar Recipe
Before we dive into the process of making a cake in a mason jar, let’s gather all the ingredients we will need.
For 3-4 large mason jars, you will require:
- 170 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 113 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp oil
- 50 g sprinkles
- 113 g butter
- 260 g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp milk
How to Make Cake in a Jar – A Step-By-Step Guide
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to start baking the cake. Follow these simple instructions to create a delicious cake sponge for your mason jar treats that will work perfectly for both casual and holiday gatherings:
- Preheat the oven to 170℃/150℃fan/350℉ and grease and line with baking paper a deepish baking tray 7 x 11 inches.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Gradually add the egg whites, incorporating some of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Add the oil and vanilla essence to the mixture.
- Slowly add the flour, corn flour, and baking powder, mixing well but being careful not to over-mix.
- Fold in the colored sprinkles to add a pop of color to the cake.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cake turns golden brown and a skewer or knife comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. To remove the cake, place the wire rack on top of the tray, hold them together, and carefully turn it upside down. Slowly remove the baking paper.
Prepare the Butter Icing
While the cake cools, make the delicious butter frosting that will elevate the flavors of your mason jar treats. Follow these steps to create the perfect icing:
- Using a mixer set to medium speed, whisk the butter until it becomes creamy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and vanilla essence, continuing to whisk until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Increase the mixer speed and slowly add the milk, ensuring the frosting achieves a creamy texture.
- Transfer the buttercream frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large nozzle, ready to be used for assembling the cake in the mason jars.
Assemble the Cake in a Mason Jar
Now that you have your cake sponge and buttercream frosting ready, it’s time to assemble the cake in the mason jars. First, place the cooled cake on a cutting board and, using a mason jar, start cutting circles of cake.
To assemble the cake jars, gently place a circular piece of cake at the bottom of each mason jar. Next, add a layer of frosting and then top with another cake layer. Repeat with more frosting and the final cake layer. Add some sprinkles on top and seal the jar with the lid. Follow these steps for all of your jars.
How Long Can You Store a Mason Jar Cake?
Once you’ve assembled your cake in a mason jar, you may be wondering about its shelf life.
Typically, if stored correctly, your cake in a jar can last up to 5 – 7 days in the fridge or 2-3 days at room temperature. If you’re using fresh cream and fresh fruit in your filling, it is advisable to consume the cake within two days when stored in the fridge.
The Bottom Line
A cake in a mason jar is not only a delicious but also visually appealing treat. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or looking for a unique idea to serve your desserts at a party, these custom-created mason jar masterpieces are sure to bring joy. With endless flavor combinations and the ability to personalize each jar, you can create a unique treat that will be cherished. So gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and embark on a journey of cake-filled delight with cake in a mason jar!